Thursday, October 8, 2009

Letter from Sylvester Evans

Verland Edith Evans Smith's Father

Dear Verland and Emory,

Sometime ago your family asked me to write a few things about what I knew about you, but at that time my body and mind were operating on about one cylinder so I failed to fill that request. But after reading some of the fine articles and comments by members of my family, I will write a post script and tell of some events that no one still alive can tell.

Edith and I made a good start by being married in the Salt Lake Temple on September 1, 1909. The first event I will mention took place on that early summer morning of June 19, 1910. I called the doctor who I learned was at the home of my brother, John S. Evans. The doctor came to the phone and said, “I’ve just delivered a fine baby girl to your sister-in-law.” I said, “Well, you hurry over here and deliver me a baby girl.” He said, “I’ll be there.” Well, within the nest hour we had a lovely girl with dark eyes and lots of black hair. So the two cousins came into this world about 90 minutes apart. These two babies were born in houses we lived in then and not in the 3 to 5 hundred dollar priced homes of today.

No baby got better care than our baby did at the hands of Sister Long, our midwife and nurse. Of course dear Aunt Ba did her part. Verland was a bright baby and learned very fast and she was the pride of the neighborhood. She learned to walk at 11 months but couldn’t get up by herself for several weeks later. So when she would walk down to the corral to see the chickens, pigs, cows and horses she would fall down and we would go down and place her upright and she would walk back to the house.

Verland was a very bright child and in school she was very active and received high marks in her studies. She had a mind of her own but was considerate of us and other people. She always chose good companions and never gave us much to worry about. She had a number of boy friends while at school and I know of at least two who were very much in love with her. One of them to this day asks about her every time I meet him. She was usually an honor student at school.

After high school she was away more than at home –working and studying in Salt Lake and finally out at Myton, Utah, which to us was the end of the earth. She bought a little Ford coupe and would drive to Lehi at some weekends. It was while working out there that she met that good looking guy, Emory Smith.

Speaking of the name Smith, it is an important name in my family. I married a Smith, Dick married a Smith, and Verland married a Smith. All their married life they both have been a hard-working couple. I don’t think either has a lazy bone in their bodies. Emory has always been a loyal and considerate son-in-law and I do believe he thought the world of his mother-in-law. I think the world of him and his brothers and sisters and I enjoy being in their company.

Edith and I have had many pleasant visits at the Smith Ranch over the past 30 to 35 years and enjoyed the many rides over the countryside and partaking of the fine food. I sure loved to be with those sweet kids as they were growing up. The Evans family has always been proud of Verland and Emory’s labors in the lamb and wool industry and especially Verland’s efforts in promoting the same. To become a national president is a great honor.
May their years in retiring be very happy.
Sylvester Evans
Lehi, Utah
August 1, 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment