Sunday, December 28, 2014

Elisha Hildebrand Davis - letter to Grandmother

My Dear Grandmother - Nauvoo, April 21, 1847

My Dear Grandmother,
   For the first time in my life I sit to write a letter to thee. I am happy to say I am well and sincerely hope this may find thee alive and well. I have just arrived here from England where I have been for two years and a half. Ruth lives here and has been sick for some time. Esther is here taking care of her however she is getting well now.
   I am sorry to inform thee my sister Sabrina Harrison died of Black Canker on the 22nd of February. This we learn by letter from father.  She was not sick long, left 3 children with my father, Isaac Harrison. I believe has gone to California but I suppose will return.  Father is at a place on the Missouri River called Council Bluffs --- and were all tolerable well in health the last account. Elizabeth is married to a young man named Henry Boley from Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania and Hannah is married to a Mr. Isaac Brown from Canada.
   Will Uncle Abijah or Uncle Rowland please write to Esther R. Davis or R.L. Peck direct to Nauvoo, Illinois and they will know where I am and communicate with me.
   I have lived a long while without being married but I have got an excellent one at last (Mary Ann Mitchell). Perhaps grandmother will be anxious to know more about her. Well, she is the only child, small in stature, light hair, fair skin and dark eyes. She was 24 last birthday (19th October) and she pleases me, as hard as I was to please.
   The mob has drove our brethren all away from this place and taken possession of the spoil and are now living in the houses which they took from the rightful owners because of our religion but there is a day of righteous judgement coming.

    Farewell dear Grandmother and all relations for the present 
    I remain thy affectionate Grandson
                                            Elisha H. Davis                                                


No comments:

Post a Comment